Thursday, April 5, 2012

Inspiration: From days gone by....

Growing up in our extended family on my dad's side, everyone always spoke about Uncle Ted's pictures. Talked about his pictures with awe and excitement. You were priveleged to have your picture taken by Uncle Ted - and he usually did it without your knowing it.  And then, there you were, captured at that moment in time - something tangible to hold in your hand.  Like this one....

My dad and me - 1982
I don't remember Uncle Ted as I was very young when he passed on, but I have some of his pictures, and lots of stories about him. When I started taking pictures, one of my aspirations was to be as good as Uncle Ted. I once had the chance to hold his camera. I don't remember the brand, but it was a semi-automatic SLR. Very heavy! And he knew how to make it work. ;)
When I was just starting my photography business, Uncle Ted's granddaughter Jami (my second cousin) got married. She asked me to take her pictures.  It was only my second wedding and I was a little nervous, but they were wonderful to work with.  Jami is so beautiful. I scanned in one of her pictures.


That was 10 years ago. How time does fly. At the wedding, Jami's mother (Ted's daughter) gave me a picture that Uncle Ted had taken of Jami & I at a family reunion years before. We were about one & two.  I kept that picture in my camera bag for years. I actually thought it was still there, only when I went to look for it, it wasn't. I must've put it away - probably a good thing as my bag get lots of use.

I wanted to take a moment to salute family photographers, and the people who inspire us, in big ways and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment