Tuesday, January 22, 2013

High Key Lighting

When I first started taking courses in photography, I wanted to know as much as possible so that I could take good pictures. I was blessed to have a teacher who knew a lot & knew how to teach it well.  I took four courses from him (Basic Photography - Advanced Photography - Portrait Photography - and another Advanced Photography, focusing on assignments in Studio Lighting) and enjoyed every minute. From the moment he started teaching High-Key lighting, I fell in love. It's hard to create, but the results are so stunning. The basic idea is that the background is over-exposed to make extremely bright pictures, but it's often easy to under-expose the face in this type of lighting. Finding the right balance between background & foreground is the key. I don't have time to work on it often, but love these that I shot a few years ago:



 
 
 
 
 

     When I started editing these, I found that I love High-Key in Black & White. Of course, there's not many types of lighting that I don't like in B&W. I'm pretty biased towards B&W.  Anyway.... a few more:

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment